Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 31: The Best for You

I am always told how beautiful Samantha is, how big and brown her eyes are and how long her eyelashes are. So, today Samantha went to her first open call at a talent and modelling agency in Mississauga. After finally picking out the perfect outfit and then deciding on a completely different one, I was sure that Samantha would be a sure shot!

One agency sent us an email stating that Samantha either resembled another model already working for them or she didn't have the look they were looking for at the moment. Samantha had her first rejection in life. To me, Samantha is the cutest baby I have ever laid eyes on, and that is a statement I will not back down from. So, to hear that she was either similar to another baby or wasn't what they were looking for, well, I''ll be honest, that sort of stung a tad.

However, this afternoon, at the open call, we learned some more about the industry and were told that the company would love to represent Samantha, as well as many of the other babies (alarm #1) for a $300 administration fee. (alarm #2). Am I in a scam...did I not do enough research...maybe I needed to do some more homework. So, Samantha is not going to be represented by this company right now. (I'll do another blog on model scams later)

But all this really made me start to think. Why do I want Samantha to be a baby model? Am I really doing this for her, or maybe I am just trying to live vicariously through her?

Obviously I think she is adorable and beautiful, but every mother thinks the same thing. In my mind, I want to provide opportunities for Samantha that she may not normally be able to have; opportunities that I was not given growing up. I want Samantha to be confident and happy and independent and I feel like introducing her into this industry is a great opportunity for her to learn these skills.

Am I a "stage mama"...No...Do I want to be one...No. Honestly, Toddlers and Tiaras makes me sick. Those children are supposed to be playing and having fun. And when Samantha is a little bit older, the decision is completely hers and I will support her 110% in whatever she decides to do with her life. But at least she will have the confidence to pursue whatever she decides, as well as a little extra money for her to do it with.

On the other note, I certainly don't want Samantha to base her self worth on looks. Her looks will change, her personality will change and hopefully society will change along with her and stop judging people based on their looks. But let's be honest, good looking people are given different opportunities than the average person. Come on Channing Tatum would never have gotten where he is today if he didn't look the way he does. (Not that I'm complaining about the sexiest man alive)

So, where do we go from here? I would still like to look for the best agency to represent Samantha. I know that she has something special inside her and I strongly believe that this industry will help open doors for her. Doors that I just don't have the key for. As her mother it will be my job to keep her on the ground and teach her about core values and ideals and beliefs. I may not be the perfect mother and I know that I will make mistakes, but I do believe that this is not one of them.

Samantha, I do not know where this will go or where this will take you, but if you are reading this now, I can only hope that I did indeed make the right decision for you. I love you and only want the best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment