Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day 34: Down the Yellow Brick Road

Those of you who know me, know that my mother and I have not always had the best relationship. It has been something that has been trial and error for a very long time. Having a daughter of my own now, it breaks my heart to think about some of the things I did and said to my mom. My mother may not be perfect, but she did everything possible to make sure that my brother and I were provided for.

Now, we are best of buddies and I look up to her in ways I could never have imagined! We can barely go one day without at least speaking to each other over the phone. I truly hope that this is the relationship Samantha and I have in 20 years. I hope that we are still laughing, sharing stories and are best of friends, they way my mom and I are today.

Last night was a perfect example of this. Mom and I had a night out together and laughed all night long. Now, I'm sure that the martini's and wine certainly made things a tad more funny than what they really were, but either way, we had a great time. 

My mom's absolute favorite movie of all time is The Wizard of Oz, so we traveled down the yellow brick road together and saw Andrew Lloyd Weber's production of it at the beautiful Ed Mirvish Theatre in Toronto. It was a perfect night! No traffic, delicious dinner and plenty of laughter! That lion was simply hilarious!

Watching the actors and performers on stage was stunning and the entire time, all I could picture was Samantha dancing and singing on that stage. I wonder if she will be into the arts? Josh is quite a talented musician (though he'd never tell you that himself) and I love everything about theatre. The music, the set, the dancing. Obviously our passions will have an influence on her, but I hope that she follows her own heart and her own passions and does what she loves, no matter what it is.
 

As I have previously posted, I want to give Samantha as many opportunities in life as I can. And I will do whatever I possibly can to open those doors for her, just as my mother did for me. And who knows, maybe someday it will be Samantha on that stage singing "Over The Rainbow" or maybe she will be sitting next to me in the audience memorized by the beauty of the production. But until that day comes, I will continue to hold her and teach her and sing to her myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment