Friday, March 1, 2013

Nikon COOLPIX S30 review

The last 2 weeks have been a lot of fun. After seeing how big 99 Days of Laughter had become, I wanted to get a better camera than my just my phone. Even though this blog was still designed for Samantha, something that she could read when she was older, it had become something that was touching people all over the globe.

I knew it was a "long shot" (pun totally intended) but I started to reach out and see if I could get a camera donated to me. After contacting a few companies, I kept being told that "we don't have that type of program". But for those of you know know me, unless you tell me no, I don't give up. Long story short, StrategicAmpersand offered me a two-week evaluation of the brand new Nikon COOLPIX S30!

This camera is an amazing family-friendly camera. It's shock proof (up to 80cm), waterproof (up to 3m) and uses a standard AA battery. It is also extremely easy to use!

The shock proof alone was great. Since Samantha has an obsession of touching and dropping everything, I didn't have to worry about her breaking the camera if...no, when she got those tiny fingers on it. And I'll be the first to admit that I did indeed drop it myself (insert blush face here). While carrying Samantha outside during our Snowmageddon adventure, trying to hold a wiggly baby in a puffed snowsuit, while wearing snow gloves and trying to take a self picture...not so easy!
The waterproof was also a great feature, especially when the camera landed in the 2 foot snow bank! Not only that, but as any mother will tell you everything goes into a baby's mouth - including this camera! But again, I had no panic attacks when I found Samantha chewing, drooling and sucking on the camera.

There were some drawbacks though while using this camera. I found that waiting for the camera to focus and give you the "green" to go could take a long time. And by the time the camera takes the picture, the moment is over. But, when the picture was taken the 10 MP sensor created crisp and clear pictures full of beautiful color. In fact, the picture of Samantha on the cover of Today's Parent was taken using the Nikon COOLPIX S30.

The Nikon COOLPIX S30 is a really fun and easy camera to use too. After you take a picture, you can put your own creative touch on the picture by editing right on the camera. You can edit the color, add a border, take soft pictures and even add that silly fish eye effect, which I just do not understand the fad behind.

You can also take HD movies with sound, which is great for filming a laughing baby! I also found that the camera self focuses, so when Samantha moved around, the camera would just refocus on her.

My last criticism on this camera was the flash. I hate that I could not control the flash myself. Each setting is has been preset, which is nice for a first time camera user, but can be a tad frustrating when you're trying to take a picture of your husband and daughter playing before bed in the living room and the flash won't fire because the camera thinks the living room lights are bright enough. (They aren't)


All-in-all though, this camera was a fun camera to use and I got some amazing pictures! I would recommend the Nikon COOLPIX S30 for a family on a budget who wants great quality pictures and video, but doesn't want to shell out the $400+ for one.

Thank you to StrategicAmpersand for including 99 Days of Laughter on your evaluation of the Nikon COOLPIX S30. I am so thankful and had a great two weeks using and pushing the limits of it and can't wait to help you test the next one!

Ashton Kutcher...you ain't got nothin on The Laur Family! 


No comments:

Post a Comment