Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pop Goes the...Elbow!

Well, it finally happened! Samantha had her "first" trip to the hospital. I say "first" because when she was just a few months old, we did bring her in because I suffered from Over-Protective Mama Syndrome. But, this time Over-Protective Mama Syndrome proved right.

While at the mall doing some shopping, we walked past a very enticing display of twinkly lights at the Apple Store. Clearly, no child could ever resist them. Well, Samantha right away not only noticed the display, but discovered it was an open display where she could go right in a play with lights. (Clearly Apple wasn't thinking child safety when they put this one up.)

So, after a few minutes of trying to coax Samantha away from the store and a few tears and tantrums, I was finally able to get her to hold my hand and walk away from the display, only to have her quickly turn away from me and run back to the display again.
Well, in that split second she decided to turn back and run, while I was still holding onto her hand, all I felt was a POP and hear her cry!
I didn't know what to do and all I could think was "What did I just do?". I seriously thought I had broken her arm or dislocated her shoulder! It was the strangest thing to see her not able to move it, just a limp limb. We immediately went to the hospital and thankfully were in and out in less than 90 minutes!

The nurse told me it was "just a pulled elbow and it's the most common childhood injury" then in 30 seconds twisted her arm one way, twisted her arm the other way and it was done...after a few seconds of tears she was back to giggling with a popsicle in her hand.

I'm writing this because of how serious this may sound and how common this injury is and also to tell you "It's not your fault!". A pulled elbow (or "nursemaid's elbow" or "radial head subluxation") is usually the result of the toddler's arm being jerked or yanked. Their ligaments are looser and more stretchy than an adults, and because of this a normal tug can cause the elbow bone to slip under the ligament and become trapped. Thankfully, this is the easiest treated injury and usually within seconds the child and arm is completely back to normal!

That being said, remember to be careful with your little ones! I know they love to be swung in between mommy and daddy while going for a walk, but after learning more about this injury, this is the easiest way for this injury to occur. Remember when picking your child up, pick them up by their torso, under their arms...and not by their arms.
For more information, check out this month's copy of Today's Parent Magazine. They have an article called Out of Joint that explains much more about this very common and easily treatable toddler injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment