Sunday, December 22, 2013

Minivan Mom, Best in Class!

Ok, Ok, I am not a car person by any means. Sure, I know my basics like how to check my oil and when to take it in for an oil change. But I certainly don't know much about "the car" per say.

That is until Chrysler offered me a chance to test drive their 2014 Dodge Caravan for a week. 
I never thought of myself as "The Minivan Mom", but Da--rn, this test drive changed me and my family! I can certainly see how the Caravan has been Canada's #1 selling minivan for over 30 years! 

First, let's get the car jargon out of the way. The Caravan has the most awards ever, with the Best-in-Class towing of 3600lb and Best-in-Class power with 283 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. The 2013 Caravan was also the 'Top Safety Pick' by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. 
We drove all the way up to Sudbury in, at some points, complete white-out conditions and heavy snowfall (truly the ultimate test drive!). Donning our snow tires and more than 40 safety and security options, I have never felt safer behind the wheel! Though, it's a good thing we also had the Garmin Navigation system in the multimedia center to get us there, because every sign was covered in snow! 
Oh! Did I mention we made it from Mississauga to Sudbury (a nearly 5 hour drive) with a 1/4 tank of gas left! AMAZING! With 955KM/tank (23MPG City/36MPG Highway) the Caravan had amazing fuel efficiency and we had no need to worry about pumping gas in the snow storm! 

The best part though! The bestest part of all was the in-car blu-ray video system! It's certainly not easy to keep a toddler entertained in a car seat for much more than 30 min...let alone a few hours! This system saved us from a fussy, fidgety and feisty toddler until we could make a pit stop! The 9" screens were super easy to use, and with dual media jacks and a 115V outlet, we could have also connected a game system! 
I have to say, I also LOVED the space! Not only were the Stow 'n Go seats as easy as 1-4 (literally pull strap 1 thru 4 and down the seat went!) but the 2nd row offered me enough space to actually climb into the van and close the door while getting Samantha into her car seat! 

I found this especially useful, especially with the cold, since most car seat experts are now saying to remove the child's bulky winter coat before strapping them in. The space allowed me to get both of us into the van, close the door from the cold, take off her coat, strap her in, cover her with her coat and a blanket safely and warmly! 
I must say, this test drive has truly changed me. I can officially say I am "The Minivan Mom" and I CANNOT wait until we have one of our own! And with this being Chrysler's 30th Anniversary, there has never been a better time for us to convert! 

I wonder if that's what Santa's getting me for Christmas (wink, wink)

Thank you again to Chrysler for offering me and my family this ultimate test drive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment